Day 07

Style: Yin
Teacher: Mark Laham (DVD)
Studio: Home Practice

I can't practice yoga at home. Why do I feel this way? For some reason, unrolling my mat alone at home is the most impossible task in the world. All of a sudden I'm cleaning and tidying any random thing, floating here and there, procrastinating. It seems completely tedious. Why is this? I love yoga!

This Sunday evening I decided it was time to do a class at home. Lighting some candles and inscence and unrolling my mat, I set up my glowing laptop on a coffee table. Mark Laham is a teacher I've gotten to know at Rama Lotus during the original yoga challenge. He teaches a great Power Yoga class, as well as an amazing Yin class. Months ago I picked up some of his DVD's at the studio knowing I wouldn't make it in the next day. Before that, I'd done a few home classes I'd downloaded off iTunes, and they were honestly horrible. Mark's are different, accompanied by relaxing music and well-worded instruction, and the experience has been great. Maybe it's just me, but for some reason I've found it really hard to focus and be in the zone alone at my house, surrounded by an infinity of distraction. Again and again teachers emphasize the importance of developing a strong home practice, and it's something I plan to really get into over this challenge.

On this winter Sunday night in the warmth of my living room, I'm finding it easier then ever to forget my world and enter my inner universe, letting go of all the details of my life. After putting it off all day, the feeling of finally letting go and surrendering into the process again is like a sigh of relief; a soothing late-night end to a long first week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment