Day 53

Style: Power
Teacher: Mark Laham (DVD)
Studio: Home Practice

The first day of the rest of your life. Armed with a gift-certificate from Christmas I'm at Singing Pebbles, my friendly neighbourhood bookstore. Glancing over the selection, I feel drawn to one title in particular. It's a cookbook full of recipes called "Everyday Raw". Without getting too specific, basically there's vegetarian, there's vegan, and then there's the raw diet. Despite initially coming across as intimidating and potentially complicated, I bought the book anyway. After heading to a few health food stores to gather some unpronouncable ingedients, I'm back home in the kitchen. Studying my strange new book, I spend the rest of the afternoon making a jicama salad, almond milk, and the best smoothie I've ever had in my entire life.

Raw foodism is a lifestyle promoting the consumption of uncooked, unprocessed, and often organic foods as a large percentage of the diet. Cooking food is believed to destroy enzymes that assist in digestion and absorption, and is thought to diminish the nutritional value and "life force" naturally inherent in food. While it's heartbreaking to think I would be excluded from experiencing some exotic and delicious dishes, overall I can't help being aware of the importance of choosing what I consume as wisely as possible. I'm not in a rush to enlist with any particular school of thought. I'm still learning and experimenting, but admittedly I'm feeling absolutely amazing after all the energizing, healthy food. Before I know it I'm in my room working through a home Power sequence, and not long after that I'm melting into my bed, slowly dissolving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment