Day 58

Style: Kundalini
Teacher: Siri Karm Kaur
Studio: Rama Lotus

The first time I went to a Kundalini yoga class I felt like I'd wandered into an alternate dimension. It's every bizarre, wacky yoga stereotype you've ever heard. It's that weird. At least, that's how I felt at the time. Since the last challenge, I have yet to take a Kundalini class. I'd like to say it's because I've been so focused on other methods I haven't had the chance, but when I boil it down I know I've been avoiding it. From my minimal exposure to the style, it strikes me as a yoga in a world of it's own, distinctly different then anything else. However, the more I learn about the world around me, its history and its mysteries, I've come to the realization that nothing is too weird. Truth is often stranger then fiction.

Today marks my third Kundalini class ever, and to be honest I still can't explain it. Today I did my best to arrive with a clear, open mind. The movements are quick, jerky, spastic in nature. The breath work is short, gasping, almost bordering on hyperventilating at times. There is a lot of chanting and singing, sometimes dancing. It's strange. Kundalini devotees often wear flowing white robes and head-wraps.

From what I understand, Kundalini energy resides within everyone, described as pure creative potential, inner knowledge, awareness and evolved consciousness. It is conceptualized as a coiled serpent lying dormant at the base of the spine. Once this energy is awakened it begins to rise up the spinal cord, activating different chakras and bringing with it new insights and understanding, eventually bursting through the top of your head and connecting you with the cosmos. Whoa. I'm actually at a loss for words. It's so fringe, so different... I haven't fully digested it. Not even close. Some preliminary online research unearthed talk of adverse effects from prematurely or suddenly awakened Kundalini energy, described as a "spiritual emergency". I'll admit it, I'm bewildered. I think to truly form an opinion on the style I need more exposure to it. Over the next few weeks it's my intention to mix in a few more sessions while at the same time researching deeper into its history. The best I can do for now is leave you with words from the closing song that have been stuck in my head on repeat since I left the studio. May the long time Sun shine upon you, all love surround you, and the pure light within you, guide your way on. Word.

0 comments:

Post a Comment