Day 33

Style: Yin/Yang
Teacher: Abe Cartland
Studio: Rama Lotus

My sister is a genius. Today Maria added the finishing touches to her application for Ryerson's fashion program, and her portfolio is absolutely incredible. After sending a few champagne corks flying in the spirit of celebration, I remember that it's Friday night. Every yoga studio will be closing early. Scanning the evening schedule, my eyes omit the word Yang from the class description. Thinking I would be making my way through submissive Yin poses for an hour and a half, tonight's session begins with an intensive Ashtanga-influenced Yang sequence. As we move into the balancing postures I'm greeted by a host of champagne bubbles, tilting the room from left to right. Focusing my Drishti for dear life, I somehow manage to keep myself from toppling over onto the hardwood floors. As I enter the Yin portion I find myself in sheer bliss.

Leaving class and making my way back home, I manage to find myself a quiet corner and a laptop as the ceiling above nearly caves in under stomping feet, clinking bottles and pounding music. It's Friday night and quiet corners are hard to come by. Seizing the moment I throw fingertips to laptop keys, digesting tonight's transition. This challenge has taught me to genuinely enjoy my own company. I want to be present as time unfolds around me. I want to be awake in the face of life itself. I want to understand.

1 comments:

Annie Beamish said...

"I want to be present as time unfolds around me. I want to be awake in the face of life itself. I want to understand."

Another one for my books of quotes. Now your in there next to Paulo Coehlo and Neil Donald Walsch.

Post a Comment